Re: udp packet storms

Darren Reed (avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au)
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 01:50:43 +1100 (EDT)

> On Sat, 29 Oct 1994, Pat Myrto wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > That's interesting - it amounts to a feedback loop (in electrical
> > or audio terminology).  Is there a way to interrupt this sort of
> > thing (short of killing inetd or the involved daemon) or rebooting (a
> > drastic method of doing the same thing)?
> >
> > How would one prevent this without disabling the udp services?
>
> Hmm; I wonder if it's possible to tell tcpd to rate-limit a particular
> service?

tcpd no.

inetd, (sort of), yes. yes if you compiled it and set it.  Being able
to set this in inetd.conf would be nice, yes ?  xinetd...source...hack...

oh, and inetd does have an inbuilt "rate-limit" which if gets tripped
results in the service being deactivated...as a point of interest, there
was a patch for inetd (last year or so ?) for Sun's inetd because it was
shutting down services which were being called too often through legitamate
use - it used to catch failing services, but now (with faster h/w) was doing
the 'wrong thing'.